PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Karelin Workout

Fatman
Jul 29, 2007, 01:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of articles, books or videos describing the training regimen of Alexander Karelin, one of the greatest wrestlers ever. I heard he only used rubber cables in his exercises, plus weird stuff like running through water etc..

Thanks!

Moonduck
Aug 02, 2007, 05:55 PM
That is an article I would like to read as well. Karelin was completely unreal.

Fatman
Aug 03, 2007, 02:32 AM
Yeah. I saw a video of his fights, something like a collage... the guy's physique and the way he tossed heavyweights around like rag dolls was incredible. Apparently there was an article and video in the english version of his website, but it got deleted (the entire english version, that is - now it's all in Russian). And my Russian isn't good enough to navigate around the present version of the site.

Moonduck
Aug 03, 2007, 09:08 AM
You know, there are a lot of guys out there that look solid as hell, but Karelin looks freaking brutal. I gotta agree, man, I want to be able to casually toss around heavyweights like he does. Karelin is awe inspiring.

Fatman
Aug 03, 2007, 09:18 AM
Apparently he never lifted weights.

Now I don't really believe that. The guy is a monster. Even if he didn't lift barbells and dumbbells, he probably still trained with logs and odd objects. He was supposed to be able to carry a huge refrigerator up 8 flights of stairs and do stuff like that. In any case, he's probably wrestling's no. one legend.

Moonduck
Aug 03, 2007, 04:51 PM
Gotta agree. He HAS to have resistance training in his background, especially with the Soviet Union's emphasis on barbell exercises when he was coming up. I think I'm with you on the idea of odd object training. Odd object is seriously good stuff for combat athletes.

Fatman
Aug 04, 2007, 07:56 AM
Pavel Tsatsouline on Dragondoor responded to the same question I posted there. He said Karelin's exact routine was kind of unknown territory, but that he would perform Zercher deadlifts with 440 pounds for 10 reps in training. Now I don't know if you've tried these (the ones where the bar is cradled in your arms) but 170 lbs. was more than enough for one shaky rep for me (almost impossible to get low enough to cradle the damn bar!), and I pull over 400 lb. regular style. So 10-rep Zerched DLs at 440 lbs... I guess they would put a bit of muscle on you.

In a (badly) translated excerpt from his now-defunct site, Kaerlin was quoted to do running thorugh snow, play something like a cross between american football and basketball ("wrestling basketball") and row for hours. As for weights, "horizontal press" (probably bench press), various dumbbell exercises for the biceps and triceps.

Moonduck
Aug 05, 2007, 12:01 AM
Yup, zerchers would be perfect for his signature lift. I've done zerchers with 225# IIRC. Wow, SO freakin hard! And the only way I was able to tolerate it was using a tip from EFS to put a 2x6 in the crook of your arm on the forearm side to help relieve the pressure. I agree, if he did 440#, wow.