PDA

View Full Version : "Bulgarian" training bags

Vermonter
Jul 10, 2010, 03:44 PM
Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8rU0H-9ps

I know this doesn't fall under the purview of bodyweight exercises, but in the spirit of sharing a cool, new (to me) and cheap means of enhancing your exercise routine, I thought I'd share this.

I did something similar to the instructions in the video, only I obtained a bunch of spent mountain bike tubes from a local bike shop and filled those instead, attaching rope loops to the ends when I sealed the ends with the zip ties. This allows me to use as many as I want simultaneously so I can adjust the weight. I have some velcro strapping I use to hold them together as one.

The benefit of making some sand filled tubes is you can also easily use them for extra weight when doing bodyweight exercises. Just make them into loops and sling them over your neck or shoulders. They work just like a backback/vest for weighted pushups or a weight belt for pull-ups.

The tubes were free (minus the trip), the zip ties cost $1.75 for 20 (10 tubes worth), and the rope loops I made for handles were made from some clothesline rope that cost something like 4 bucks for a crapload of it.

For those of you looking for some cheap weights, and don't want to duct tap the hell out of everything, filling tubes is an easy and affordable way to do it.

If you're a badass, you of course can go ahead and fill a car, truck, or even various tractor tires instead. I just wanted to keep the weight manageable because I wanted to be in control of the swings and not torque my back or joints while getting familiar with the exercise. I have found it to be great for conditioning, as a warm-up, and wonderful all-around workout for shoulders, traps, back, and abs.

Jez Davis
Jul 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, made one. It came in at 12kg. You need to be careful not to cut your fingers with the cable ties when you're swinging the bugger round your head but other than that it's a great tool and much better than spending 180 on one!

MF!
Jul 10, 2010, 09:57 PM
this is actually really cool. off to look more into exercises and such before i decide to construct this one.

thanks for posting

EDIT: just looking into it a little more, the exercises you can do are not too different from what you can do with a kettle bell or even a dumbell or other type of sandbag. either way this it still stands an interesting tool (and relatively easy to make as well)

Monkey Magic
Jul 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
I think I prefer Clubbells for versatility.... everything in that video can be done plus so much more.

Journeyman
Jul 10, 2010, 11:16 PM
You take your bodybuilding weights someplace else! :evil: :lol:

Bulgarian bags are somewhat more limited than dumbbells or kettlebells, but better for some things too. They're perfect for draping across your shoulders for dips, squats, pushups, etc. which can't be easily done with most other weights.

Clubbells are versatile in terms of movement patterns but limited when it comes to building strength and power (except in the wrists). Plus they're pretty expensive, though therer are certainly homemade options. I have a pair of 15lb homemade clubs, but I don't use them much.

Monkey Magic
Jul 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
Clubbells can be used to build phenomenal multi-planar strength and power unlike anything else.

No offense however to make a statement that they are not good for doing so shows that obviously you haven't used them much.

15lbs Clubbells are only entry level weight for men and are more for strength-endurance. Try moving a pair of 25lb Clubbells or a single 45lb Clubbell and then return saying you cannot build strength or power with them. Also the strength is built in more extreme ranges of motion which is where most activities actually need the strength anyway.

I merely made the comment because all the movements shown in the video with the bulgarian bags can easily be done with clubbells and are actually fairly classic moves, plus the clubbells have way more versatility.

(In the video it shows shoulder park squat, with the bag draped across the shoulder you would do same by parking two clubbells on the shoulder to squat.... it also shows what would be a double swipe, when the guy is holding the ends of the bag and swinging it back behind his head and then to the front this is a classic clubbell combination move.... and lastly it shows what is called a hammer swing in clubbell terms where the guy is swinging it around his head in a circles, this one can be done one or two handed with clubbells).

Raja
Jul 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
It was after watching this video sometime back that I realized that there are waaaay too many training tools out there. It's nice in a way because you can keep changing things up if it gets boring. But the downside is you don't actually get a good skill at any one thing.

Monkey Magic
Jul 15, 2010, 12:05 AM
Well it looks like my post got deleted. I apologise if it offended anyone.

Anyways it's not the tool that counts, it's the training methodology.

Taking the time to develop skill in one area before moving on to another is most important.

Journeyman
Jul 15, 2010, 07:36 AM
I think I prefer Clubbells for versatility.... everything in that video can be done plus so much more.

Well it looks like my post got deleted. I apologise if it offended anyone.

Anyways it's not the tool that counts, it's the training methodology.

Taking the time to develop skill in one area before moving on to another is most important.

Looks like both your posts are still here buddy. We don't censor posts on this forum.

Vermonter
Jul 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
I have never had a larger variety of exercises reduce my performance, or "skill" in any other given exercise. If anything, I have found the opposite to be true; where having more options available when I am still feeling the need for recovery in a standard exercise allows me to continue working without over training the priority exercise.

Also, I probably don't do as many exercises as many who visit this forum. I like to keep it basic. I mostly stick to common presses and pulls (along with leg raises and core work). One of the reasons I like BWE is that many of them are compound exercises and don't completely isolate specific muscles. That is why I am particularly enjoying this tool. Unlike something like biceps curls, simply swinging the bag around in alternating directions works both pushing and pulling muscles including some which I don't work out regularly (traps, serratus abs). Sure, I could just do neck shrugs, or some other crap, but the time is better spent doing something like this where I hit my shoulders, traps, back, abs, get a nice aerobic conditioning workout, AND get a dynamic stretch going on.

Anyhow, I think those who try it out will find it to be a satisfying exercise. If you are already doing the exercise with some other (more expensive) tool, bully for you.

Journeyman
Jul 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.tallarmeniantale.com/pics/TedRoosevelt1917.JPG

BULLY FOR YOU!!