PDA

View Full Version : 100 pushups in 2 minutes

screwhead1
Feb 17, 2010, 12:43 AM
i got to 95 and failed...:(

how many can you do in 2 minutes?

championjc
Feb 17, 2010, 01:06 AM
i could probably do more burpees in 2 minutes than i could do push ups which is sad. and it would probably be about 25.

screwhead1
Feb 17, 2010, 01:11 AM
it's all about repetition...i came a long way...i went from 100 a week to 250 a night...now i'm trying to get down to 200 in 5 minutes...not even sure if it will even be possible...but dogonit...i'ma try...

championjc
Feb 17, 2010, 02:02 AM
as long as your willing to make the attempt its possible. i'm sure someone around here has done it before.

you training for a PT?

EvilOne
Feb 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
How are you doing these? Just as many as possible in 2 min? Or do you have to stay in a pushup position for rest, or what exactly are you asking for??? I am sure there are a good ammount of us that can do this. King Iron being the top dog!!

AshersUK
Feb 17, 2010, 11:04 AM
When I applied for the Royal Marines one of the pre-tests was 60 push ups in 2 minutes. On my Potential Royal Marines Course (PRMC) I managed 105 whereas the person opposite me did 117. We were the 2 highest scorers. They were strict form, full range of motion, arms closes to sides, down to the ground to the fist of the person counting, back up RIGHT to the top, or you'd have some deducted and to rest you had to be in the push up position, you weren't aloud to take your hands off the ground or put your knees on the ground. So I'd say with a good enough warm up and enough willpower 200 push ups in 5 minutes would be a peice of piss for a lot of people.

rikrock
Feb 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
In one of our other competetions we raced for 50 p/u and the average was around 32 to 35 secs. 100 in 2 minutes isn't that difficult you can get it easy with a little work.

championjc
Feb 17, 2010, 07:58 PM
i'm sure someone could do 100 in less than a minute if they trained for it.

CoolRaul
Feb 17, 2010, 08:18 PM
I did 37 in 2 minutes the other day. I'd like to do 75 in 2 minutes by the end of the year.

championjc
Feb 17, 2010, 10:11 PM
well you've got 10 months don't procrastinate and you'll be able to do it before june.

partemisio
Feb 18, 2010, 07:13 AM
i'm sure someone could do 100 in less than a minute if they trained for it.

This is very possible. I have seen it. When I was in the police academy here, a guy came to our school wanting to beat a couple of records on our physical. He was able to do over 100 push ups (hundred twenty something if I remember correctly) in one minute.

Freeman
Feb 18, 2010, 08:06 PM
military.com/military-fitness

Look Up "Push-Up Push". Do it for the duration of it's two weeks, Do a lighter workout another two, Rest and repeat. Be careful, you WILL dip near injury.

If I can do 75 in 2 mins and 65 in 1 weighing 180lbs at 5'4", believe me, it IS possible and plausible.

partemisio
Feb 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
military.com/military-fitness

Look Up "Push-Up Push". Do it for the duration of it's two weeks, Do a lighter workout another two, Rest and repeat. Be careful, you WILL dip near injury.

If I can do 75 in 2 mins and 65 in 1 weighing 180lbs at 5'4", believe me, it IS possible and plausible.

Yes, this is a great workout. The author is Stew Smith.

screwhead1
Feb 19, 2010, 05:27 AM
Yes, this is a great workout. The author is Stew Smith.

i'll definitely look this up...i'm 185 at 6'0...i tried again today and got to 97...i'm getting close...the thing is that once i get to those last 5...my form gets really bad...i don't take my hands off the ground and i keep my hands close in the same spot...i do a slight chest touch to the ground...it's getting to the point where i don't even feel the first 50...i might start getting into intervals again...oh and i'm not doing any type of training...i did read on a site that the minimum for **** ***** is 79 in 2 minutes...

championjc
Feb 19, 2010, 12:44 PM
thats interesting i've never seen a minimum set for military branches before. to get 100 on the push up portion of most pt's you have to be able to do between 70-80.

partemisio
Feb 20, 2010, 07:05 AM
thats interesting i've never seen a minimum set for military branches before. to get 100 on the push up portion of most pt's you have to be able to do between 70-80.

That's not for the **** itself. It is to have a shot at becoming a SEAL. Some jobs like SEAL, Ranger, etc. require a minimum to be able to attempt the training. 79 is the competitive number of push ups which double your chance of sucess in the training. All the requirement for people that want to have a shot at becoming a SEAL are as follows:

These are all done with boots and long pants except for the swim.

Swim 500 yards in 12:30
rest for 10:00
Minimum 42 push ups in 2:00
2:00 rest
Minimum 50 sit ups in 2:00
Minimum 6 pull ups
10:00 rest
Run 1.5 miles in 11:30

The elevated scores (what is recommended and what I want to surpass) are as follows:

Swim 500 yard in 10:00
Minimum 79 push ups in 2:00
Minimum 79 sit ups in 2:00
Minimum 11 pull ups
Run 1.5 miles in 10:20

Most people in our military branches can't do the first set of numbers.

rickvv
Feb 20, 2010, 08:51 AM
Most people in our military branches can't do the first set of numbers.
I was quite surprised by that. I was in the USAF form 1976-1980. To be at the highest rating, you had to run 1.5 miles in 10:30 or less. I never considered myself a very good runner, but by pushing myself to the brink of death, I was able to barely qualify. I estimate that, that put me in the top 20% of the group of about 120 people that I tested with. I was really surprised of the number of people (guys 18-21 years old), who couldn't qualify at the lowest rating, 16:30.

Pushups was just too funny. During our training sessions, we had to do 2 sets of 20 pushups following a count. We had about 60 people in a flight, and after about the 11th or 12th rep, our group of 60 people started looking like a rolling sea. The TI's had so much fun, screaming at the stragglers. Fortunately for me, pushups were pretty easy, so I never got yelled at.

In fact, one of the highlights for me during basic training was when a Caption (forgot what his title was, but he was in charge of our group of flights, so a VIP to me), walked past me during pushups (during a rare visit), and commented to me that pushups seemed to be pretty easy for me. That was possibly my proudest moment during those 6 weeks.

I always greatly admired those people who qualified for the elite forces. Good luck to you.

EvilOne
Feb 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
i THINK the run is much harder than anything else you listed. anyone else agree??

Freeman
Feb 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
For most, yes, I agree with you evilone.

While standards have risen and fallen slightly for some branches, most of the stuff to GRADUATE basic is fairly easy, and while you have to be fit, the max score isn't quite beastly. Elite forces start to get some hard numbers for the most part.

I think the standards to graduate should be MUCH higher.
Like, the USAF right now wants 45 pushups and 55 situps from men with like a 10min 1.5 mile (If memory serves) but I think 60 pushups and 75 situps w/ a 9 min run. -5 reps for women and +30 seconds.

Anyone else think the mil standards are too low?

rikrock
Feb 20, 2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not buying that most of the militry can't do those first numbers.well maybe army dogs can't but you know what they're known as...the post office with guns:lol: As far as the run being the hardest I think it just comes down to what you are better suited at. People have different strengths in different areas so who really knows.

AshersUK
Feb 20, 2010, 11:35 AM
I was quite surprised by that. I was in the USAF form 1976-1980. To be at the highest rating, you had to run 1.5 miles in 10:30 or less. I never considered myself a very good runner, but by pushing myself to the brink of death, I was able to barely qualify.

i THINK the run is much harder than anything else you listed. anyone else agree??

For most, yes, I agree with you evilone.

The Royal Marines (undoubtably the best non special forces Military in the world) had a minimum of a 1.5 Mile run in 12.30mins as a troop followed immedietly by a 1.5 Mile best effort run. If you come in OVER 10.30 you fail the whole course. It's favoured you get under 9.30 to score just 1 point out of 5 potential points. Not to mention you do this in combat trousers and boots after running out of camp, up a big set of steps, over a bridge, down a big set of steps and into a car park which you run around and sprint up and down till they think you're tired enough to fail. (This is just to pass the entry course (PRMC), this isn't even the start of training).

Yes, I've done it and I passed. A 1.5 Mile run under 10.30 minutes seems like a walk in the park with stops to take photographs and have a picnic.

No offence.

rickvv
Feb 20, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yes, I've done it and I passed. A 1.5 Mile run under 10.30 minutes seems like a walk in the park with stops to take photographs and have a picnic.

No offence.
No offence taken. I think alot of people who sign up for USAF, are looking for job skills that can transfer outside of the military (or they want the GI bill).

My training was in electronic equipment in a communication center. This was just after the Viet Nam thing that we were in, and the joke back then was, that they didn't trust people like me to carry guns. And the Marines were under orders to shoot us if we were ever overrun in an enemy attack, to keep up from divulging sensitive information.

So I'm not sure there was alot of elite cream-of-the-crop combat troop material in our flight. At least it didn't seem like it to me.

AshersUK
Feb 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
No offence taken. I think alot of people who sign up for USAF, are looking for job skills that can transfer outside of the military (or they want the GI bill).

Same here. People join the RAF and less often but still quite often enough people join the Royal **** too, for the job skills and qualifications that are also usable in civilian life. Whereas Army and Royal Marines tend to leave with little more than the discipline to transfer into civilian life and end up starting from scratch =(

rikrock
Feb 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Same here. People join the RAF and less often but still quite often enough people join the Royal **** too, for the job skills and qualifications that are also usable in civilian life. Whereas Army and Royal Marines tend to leave with little more than the discipline to transfer into civilian life and end up starting from scratch =(
I personally will take the discipline and start from scratch (as I did) most guys get "skills" and they have to be completely retrained in the civilian world anyway. As far as the Royal Marines go They are some tough guys and this jarhead would be happy to LEAD them wherever they wanted to go;)

championjc
Feb 21, 2010, 01:07 AM
in 9th grade i ran 2 miles in 14 minutes in old tennis shoes and pants in florida. i was 50 pounds over weight and still did better than 90% of the 70 people in my class. i've since lost that weight and gained 10 pounds of muscle. could i do better than 1.5 miles in 10 minutes hell yes. i tried out for track last year in steel toe shoes and pants and did a mile in 6:56 after having jogged about a mile, then 2-3 months later did another mile in the same outfit in 6:26.

lol now that i'm done boasting about my running ability i'll speak about the subject at hand. if i ever decide to join any of the U.S. military branches i'll make it a point to do double whatever the 100 point rating is (except for running) that's just me. i would love to see someone try and push my body to its limit if i was in that good of shape.

though i might get bored if that happens. hmm...

i'd actually like to see how running on my road translates into running on a flat surface. a 7 minute mile over a huge arse hill must make a flat surface mile faster than 6 minutes.

rickvv
Feb 21, 2010, 11:24 AM
You sound like one of those naturally gifted people that never had to work at anything to be great at it, and usually broke every rule in the book. I usually hated and admired those people. I was never great at anything and had to work hard at everything, but I still had dreams (delusions) of being a professional football player or an olympic athlete, or something.

One thing that I have learned is that bad behavior eventually catches up with all of us. So I have to commend you in taking steps in preserving the gifts that you have. Good luck to you.

championjc
Feb 22, 2010, 03:06 AM
no i'm not like that at all i have to work to do things not always as much as others but i still have to work at it. though once i set my mind to something it WILL happen. (whether i like the consequences or not) i left out the fact that i spent an entire school year building up my cardio in that p.e. class. but that was all the cardio i did that year.

i don't seem to be great at anything but i can do many things well.

screwhead1
Feb 22, 2010, 04:17 AM
That comment about the majority of the military not being able to do those first set of numbers does not seem too far fetched to me...I'm no expert in the military, but my father and uncles are...their words grouped with a few articles and reports that I've read over the past few years and I'm lead to believe that a lot of those in the selection process are not as gifted as they once were just 2 to 3 decades ago...the selection is thinning as the generations go by...some have chinned it up to technology, others blame it on the overall health stats of our nation...but I can easily look at my whole family and tell you that there are far more young people who can even complete a lap on the track, let alone a mile in 10:30...I'm not one of those, as you can see...but it's been no walk in the park for myself...only after 18 did my growth actually pose any advantage to my physical capabilities...all this running and jumping and push ups and pull ups business only became much easier after 3 to 4 years of prepping my body...I'm now 24 and it was only after I knocked off about 10 pounds (gym weight that I wanted) that I found that body weight was a lot more productive to my overall goals rather than counterproductive and time consuming...that mile and a half business can be done right under 9 minutes...but that's only because I knock out 2 miles daily before I even consider touching a gym door...

It's difficult for me to find peoe this "crazy for physical fitness...and it's crazy to me that this even has to be considered crazy to others...but it's just not common at all to even find people who can do 30 push ups in their 20's...I'm thankful for finding this site and being able to share these experiences with you all...cause telling someone I see daily about my goal to do 40 pull ups straight only draws blank stares and questions of my sanity...:( :)

Pancho
Feb 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
I think if I train a little I can do the second set. The first one I know a lot of people here can do it, come on 11 pull ups minimum it's nothing for guys in this site. I personally can do 9 in good form.

chiefb2938
Mar 12, 2010, 04:31 AM
During our annual physical for the fire department one of the phases is Push-Ups in one minute, strict form with measurement of chest to ground and knees were not allowed to touch ground or the set was over. Any rest had to be done in the up position.
At the time I was 32 yo, 165# @ 68". To score the highest score possible for the phase I needed to complete 72 in the one minute. I stopped at 48 sec's with number 73. Currently I take the full minute for the 72 @ 38 yo and 185#.

Bissen
May 04, 2010, 04:51 PM
Only like half (-__-)

kreationkaze
Jun 08, 2010, 11:30 AM
without rest i can do 50 then die, with rest (in the jacknife position) 97 so very close

1pushupatatime
Jun 08, 2010, 11:34 AM
I was able to do 111 pushups in 3 minutes.
check this out
http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/fitness-tips/physical-fitness-test-pushups/article/32879597c4737210vgnvcm10000030281eac

Journeyman
Jun 08, 2010, 12:24 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't call 111 pushups in 3.00 'extraordinary' by any means but it is pretty good. Maybe I'll try it this afternoon. Not sure how it'll turn out as I rarely do pushups these days.

T-M-D
Jun 08, 2010, 12:48 PM
I know a guy who can do standard pressups pretty much until he gets bored, he breaks 120 in a minute, but if you picture a guy who's best suited to doing pressups he's it. He's a little under 6 ft, he weights practically nothing and has pretty damn big arms and can bench over double his body weight.
Personally it took me 3:37 today to do 100 PU's (this was after a good hour and a half training and pad session though, if I was fresh I reckon I could do a lot better than that). 100 in two minutes is definitely an achievable goal for most 'fit' people. I'd done sixty of mine before the first minute was up, for me it was just a case that I got tired as hell after that. You just need to keep trying, you're close those three reps might take a while to get in, but you'll get there in time.

1pushupatatime
Jun 08, 2010, 01:26 PM
holy shit...last i checked, there are only 60 seconds in a minute. That means you took less than a second per pushup???? that's quite impressive

rstat
Jun 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Wow... I could only do 50 in two minutes.
Last year I could do 70 pushups in a minute for my HS fitness test.

Does increased strength mean increased endurance? Cause I've gotten alot stronger since then.

Almond
Jun 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
i got to 95 and failed...:(

how many can you do in 2 minutes?

95 to 100 is not a large gap. You'll do it soon.

silentassassin
Jun 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
i could probably do more burpees in 2 minutes than i could do push ups which is sad. and it would probably be about 25.
How can you do more burpees than pushup? Burpees have a pushup in them and are twice as long?

Swarren7630
Jun 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
With a 120 push ups in 2 minute would you not be giving up a lot or form . I would like to see a video of that just cause of the form issues.

Journeyman
Jun 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Wow... I could only do 50 in two minutes.
Last year I could do 70 pushups in a minute for my HS fitness test.

Does increased strength mean increased endurance? Cause I've gotten alot stronger since then.
Yes, to some extent. If you're stronger than you can do pushups more easily, so doing more shouldn't be a problem. It depends on what rep range you've been working with though. If you've been working for 1RM and sticking to very low reps there won't be much carryover.

With a 120 push ups in 2 minute would you not be giving up a lot or form . I would like to see a video of that just cause of the form issues.
Basically, you have to do a pushup every second for two minutes straight. It's possible, and I've seen it done with perfect form. But not many people can do it.

sapinid
Oct 10, 2010, 07:22 AM
did 84 in 2 minutes last week. Getting to 60 is easy, it is the next batch that really hurts.

I have a son in ROTC for the army. To get 300 score for 3 events you have to do 71 pushups in 2 minutes, 78 situps in 2 minutes, then run 2 miles in under 13 minutes for 17-21 yrs.. He has gotten the 300. you can get a highter score depending on how much you exceed the given amounts. They are very tight regarding form in pushups, as well as situps, cuz they will dock you if the form isn't perfect. Also can only rest in pushup position.
It is prorated according to age. So for my age group, 47-51, 51 p/u, 66 s/u, 14:24 2 mile. Hardest age group is 31-35.