PDA

View Full Version : wide pushups work out back?

Joethecoon
Jan 04, 2009, 03:09 PM
Do wide grip push ups or regular pushups in someway work out your back? It seems like i feel my back muscles getting work out when i do wide grip pushups or especially pushups using 3 chairs.

olinek
Jan 04, 2009, 03:26 PM
your low traps and lats work. But I would not consider them work for your back. Neither of those muscles are prime movers in the pushup, and doing pushups is not enough to strengthen those muscles.

Fatman
Jan 05, 2009, 03:16 AM
All bodyweight exercises involve many secondary movers and stabilizers. However, this is nowhere near enough work for these muscles and you have to train them separately.

holvoetn
Jan 05, 2009, 04:54 AM
Instead of doing pushups for back development:
inverted rows, pullups, sandbag rows, ...

BTW it is true pushups work your back and traps to some extend. Over the Xmas period I have done quite a number of pushups (at least 100 or so per day I did them). For me it was a lot given the fact I only do them once or twice a week for max 3 sets of 15.
I noticed my back and traps were really sore after some days.

Fatman
Jan 05, 2009, 06:28 AM
Instead of doing pushups for back development:
inverted rows, pullups, sandbag rows, ...

BTW it is true pushups work your back and traps to some extend. Over the Xmas period I have done quite a number of pushups (at least 100 or so per day I did them). For me it was a lot given the fact I only do them once or twice a week for max 3 sets of 15.
I noticed my back and traps were really sore after some days.

Same with me. Just doing squats and pushups on a daily basis (I did this during the deloading week) produced some soreness, especially after I started hiting 130+ reps per day.