PDA

View Full Version : push ups

The Kid Blast
Dec 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and i wanted to say hello and ask a quick question. Im a big push up lover, its the only exercise i really enjoy doing. What i wanted to know is if anyone thinks there are any problems with just doing a stand alone push up routine. I have the Bruce Lee type body, thin with very good definition. Im not really looking to add muscle mass but it would be nice. Im just looking to get a little more ripped and veiny. I was a member of another forum like this one, but got tired of a lot of the stuff that goes on there. This forum looks great and im happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know you guys.

TKB

Dave.cyco
Dec 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hey TKB! Hello right back. Yeah puhups are definitley a great exercise. The only problem with a routine consisting solely of pushups, however is that you are opening yourself up to the possibility of muscular imbalance between your push and pull mechanism.

I know how you feel, for the longest time the only exercises I ever wanted to do were hindu pushups, hindu squats and the bridge, but as I got more experienced and stronger, I found that all sorts of exercises were great fun and beneficial to me.

I would strongly urge you to begin doing horizontal rows at the very least. These will provide you a perfect balance between the push and pull mechanism of your chest shoulders and upper back.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your workout log!

Erik
Dec 28, 2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The problem with just doing pushups is that you're neglecting other parts your upper body: back, biceps, shoulders, neck. You're also not strengthening your core or your legs. You need to counter your pushups with other exercises to keep your muscles in balance or you will find yourself with a hunched-over posture.

For back, horizontal rows and chinups are the top two (pullups are more practical, but chinups hit your biceps better).

Also, for better shoulders, handstand pushups or pike pushups.

EDIT: Darn it, Dave posted the same time I did. Pretty much the same advice, too.

The Kid Blast
Dec 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
There were some guys on the other forum i was at who only did push ups and these guys were huge. i also think of Woody Strode and Ted skup who only do push ups and dont seem to have any problems. Push ups do work your core, the abs and lower back, and give the legs a lil workout. I have also read that they do strengthen the upper back quite well. But the worries i have about a stand alone push up routine are exactly what you guys said. i worry about possible posture and shoulder problems because they only work the front of the shoulder. Thanks for the help guys.

TKB

Cheeze_Baron
Dec 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
As already mentioned you want to work the other parts of the body so there are no imbalances. Try mixing it up with T-push ups and spiderman push ups to work the core, and do burpees to include other body parts, and something like the supine bridge for the posterior chain and horizontal rows for the upper back also check out bear squat push ups, theres a vid on youtube w/ Steve Maxwell doing them.

OzVegan
Dec 29, 2008, 03:32 AM
But the worries i have about a stand alone push up routine are exactly what you guys said. i worry about possible posture and shoulder problems because they only work the front of the shoulder. Thanks for the help guys.

Actually, by changing your hand position you can hit different parts of the shoulder. If you turn our hands out horizontally to the sides you can hit the middle of the shoulder. Hands turned backwards affects the biceps on the way down.

You can do uneven pushups with one hand on a box or pile of books and the other on the floor.