PDA

View Full Version : Pre Competition Workout-The Day Before...

OneTruth13
Nov 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
What type of workout would you suggest for the DAY BEFORE some sort of Competition. I know that each type of sport will probably have some routine that is "Sport Specific"(ie. a Fight, Football/Soccer/Calcio, American Football, Baseball, Marathon, Tri-Athalon, Swimming)?

If there are any ideas out there that could be a great DAY BEFORE COMPETITION workout, that is sort of like a "One Size Fits all" for all sports, please share it here. If you have some great ideas for a specific sport, preferably one that you have played or competed in at a high level, please share that also.

Thanks

The Turtle
Nov 25, 2008, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't do much of a workout for a day or two before competition, except maybe some stretching/light cardio-type stuff. You have to be careful to make sure that you are fully recovered by competition time to ensure that you will perform at your best. After all, what is the point of spending all of your time training for a sport if you can't be at your best when you compete?

EvilOne
Nov 25, 2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with Turtle. I might even go as far as a week prior. One the rare occasions I take time off. When I come back I am definetly stronger. So I would say alot of stretching, some plyos, some aerobic style cardio, but I would stay away from anything to tough

pullthis
Nov 26, 2008, 08:53 AM
I would at least work up a sweat doin some cardio, but dont dont use much weight if any at all. Do exercises that stretch. A little cardio cant hurt, but remember not to lose concentration, because you dont want to injure yourself exercising the day before an event. One of the most important things is your pre performance diet!! go most if not all organic and make sure you are fully hydrated.

good luck

The Turtle
Nov 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
One of the most important things is your pre performance diet!! go most if not all organic...

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here. I mean, I know that one should stick to whole foods and take in a good amount of carbs for energy pre-contest, but how would eating organic improve athletic performance?

pullthis
Nov 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
I am sorry, I guess what I meant is eat natural foods that arent ultra processed. Dont eat sugary, greasy stuff with alot of preservatives that slow your digestion and fill your body with chemicals. The only real advantage to organic foods is no pesticides and I dont feel like trying to find proof of why pesticides hurt performance. Eat fresh whole grain pasta with red sauce instead of a frozen meal of pasta with white sauce.

Link to "me with my foot in my mouth"

OneTruth13
Nov 26, 2008, 09:36 AM
Ok so this is all I am getting here right...

Exercise should be kept to a minimum unless doing some light cardio/aerobic workout where i can break a small sweat but do not over do it..

Stretch, maybe do some Yoga (which is also a great cardio exercise)

Eat healthy, fruits and veggies. I am not to sure if i am convinced to eat pasta with sauce (why is that a good choice and not Brown rice with veggies or oatmeal with berries?)

So no static/isometric holds of weights? No light weight high rep exercises for joints, tendons or ligaments?

OneTruth13
Nov 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
I agree with Turtle. I might even go as far as a week prior. One the rare occasions I take time off. When I come back I am definetly stronger. So I would say alot of stretching, some plyos, some aerobic style cardio, but I would stay away from anything to tough

You would suggest some plyo's. Like box jumps, clap pushups, muscle ups? What type of plyo's are we talking here, some of the ply stuff i do will make me one sore SOB the next day?

EvilOne
Nov 26, 2008, 10:02 AM
How about 1/2 ass plyos. Small box jumps, lateral jumps, front, back. Low Power Overs. Nothing to serious. no muscle ups, if clap pushups are easy, but if not I would stay away. And then just general calisthenics. I am not educated on isometrics.

OneTruth13
Nov 26, 2008, 10:08 AM
How about 1/2 ass plyos. Small box jumps, lateral jumps, front, back. Low Power Overs. Nothing to serious. no muscle ups, if clap pushups are easy, but if not I would stay away. And then just general calisthenics. I am not educated on isometrics.

I like it...

The Turtle
Nov 26, 2008, 10:56 AM
I am sorry, I guess what I meant is eat natural foods that arent ultra processed. Dont eat sugary, greasy stuff with alot of preservatives that slow your digestion and fill your body with chemicals. The only real advantage to organic foods is no pesticides and I dont feel like trying to find proof of why pesticides hurt performance. Eat fresh whole grain pasta with red sauce instead of a frozen meal of pasta with white sauce.

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, rather I was trying to find out if you had any insight on the topic. I agree with what you say -- stay away from junk before competition (and even better, altogether) for max performance.

The Turtle
Nov 26, 2008, 11:06 AM
I am not to sure if i am convinced to eat pasta with sauce (why is that a good choice and not Brown rice with veggies or oatmeal with berries?) I think the pasta suggestion was more just a suggestion of eating carbs, so any choice with high-quality carbs would be fine

So no static/isometric holds of weights? No light weight high rep exercises for joints, tendons or ligaments? I would stay away from anything that puts stress on your muscles/CNS. Isometric holds can be very taxing on both and there is not really a way to effectively work your joints, tendons, or ligaments without also working your muscles. Actually, there is really no reason to focus on the latter anyway since those should all be hit during a well-rounded training session.

You want to be at your peak during competition and to be there you need your body fully recovered. Train hard all the time -- spend the days leading up to competition preparing yourself mentally -- let your physical body recover and prepare for battle!

OneTruth13
Nov 26, 2008, 11:44 AM
So this means that some of the Yoga type stuff should be kept out of my Day Before training, but it basically sums up to a light bike ride/jog. Some stretching and eating real well. Getting the mind focused around the competition and the win.

The Turtle
Nov 26, 2008, 12:03 PM
So this means that some of the Yoga type stuff should be kept out of my Day Before training, but it basically sums up to a light bike ride/jog. Some stretching and eating real well. Getting the mind focused around the competition and the win.

Yoga could actually be a very good workout leading up to competition as it can help you focus while also providing a good stretch. Just make sure you are not doing anything extreme enough to over-extend and injure something.

Salty24
Nov 27, 2008, 05:48 AM
If you are not restricted by weight limits you can always saturate your muscle glycogen stores. Every hour, spend 3 minutes doing really intense explosive movements. Immediately after the 3 mins, consume 1g/kg of bodyweight of carbs. This will give you an absolute crap load of energy for the sport. You don't even have to do this every hour, even three times during the day would super-saturate the muscles. What you are effectively doing is continually re-opening the window of opportunity to re-stock on glycogen. Which can improve athletic performance as more energy will be available.

OneTruth13
Nov 27, 2008, 12:27 PM
wow, here did you get this idea from. Book? Trainer? Awesome stuff

pkevan
Nov 27, 2008, 01:23 PM
Usually the day before a marathon or long run its best to just walk a kilometre or 2 to keep the body moving but not overexert yourself which may affect tomorrows performance. With any event don't overdue it the day before.

punisher63
Nov 27, 2008, 02:56 PM
I do stretching and a light jog the day before a rugby game. I might do some boby-weight squats, push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. Nothing too strenuous, just enough to get the blood flowing and the muscles limber. I will usually not do plyometrics the day before as I feel like I've lost a step the next day. I never do half-assed plyos as I think it defeats the purpose of a plyometric exercise. If my body is telling me that it's not happening, I lay off. There's no point in going too hard the day before if it'll hurt your performance on game day.

My favorite dinner the night before a game is squash. If it's butternut, I mix it with corn. If it's acorn, I mix it with wild rice. If it's spaghetti, I make an olive oil pesto-like sauce. This gives me good carbs to fuel my body for an 80 minute game, but doesn't weigh me down the next day like pasta.

ranger_x3
Nov 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
Day before a track meet I normally do a mile, some strides, and another mile or so. After that I stretch. For a cross country meet I will just do an easy 3-4 miles and stretch because there isn't nearly as much focus on speed. Occasionally we do sprint drills for track, but I haven't participated in a college track meet yet so I don't know if I would actually be doing those.